Below is a nearly full accounting of all the writing I’ve done for websites and magazines (including the one I ran for a while).
But first, here are three things you could read (not behind a paywall) if you wanted to get a representative sample of the sort of stuff I write:
1. “After My Dad Died, He Left Behind Thousands of Hours of Civilization Save Files,” for Kotaku. (On what to do with those save files and what they meant about my dad’s life).
2. “Guns, Abortions, and Rule of Law,” which I put up on Medium before deciding to do this site instead. (On why you have to protect both the right to own firearms and the right to an abortion if you care about rule of law).
3. “Charmed, I’m Sure,” for The Ontological Geek. (On why videogame RPG designers should stop putting “charm” spells in their games).
1/29/2018-Present: The Big Read Cast, a quarterly big-books podcast (with occasional bonus episodes!)
- 01/29/2018: Episode One: “The Worst Journey in the World.”
- 03/26/2018: Small Read Episode One: “In Defense of Flogging.”
- 05/14/2018: Episode Two: “The Unconsoled.”
- 08/13/2018: Episode Three: “The Stand.”
- 10/22/2018: Small Read Episode Two: “The Haunting of Hill House”
- 12/17/2018: Episode Four: “Black Lamb and Grey Falcon”
- 12/31/2018: 2018 Year in Review
- 01/28/2019: Small Read Episode Three: “The Man Who Was Thursday and The Napoleon of Notting Hill”
- 03/18/2019: Episode Five Part One: “The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season”
- 04/30/2019: Episode Five Part Two: “The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Obelisk Gate”
- 05/24/2019: Episode Five Part Three: “The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Stone Sky”
- 07/08/2019: Episode Six: “The Coast of Utopia”
- 09/16/2019: Episode Seven: “Witness”
- 10/25/2019: Guest Read Episode One: “Stranger in a Strange Land”
- 12/26/2019: Episode Eight: “War and Peace”
- 02/06/2020: 2019 Year in Review
- 04/10/2020: Episode Nine: “Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell”
- 05/04/2020: Small Read Episode Four: “Midwest Futures”
- 07/09/2020: Episode Ten: “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay”
- 10/13/2020: Episode Eleven: “A Secular Age”
- 12/18/2020: Episode Twelve: “Freedom”
- 12/30/2020: 2020 Year in Review
9/17/15: “Cassilda’s Songs,” (an exercise in writing a King in Yellow story) for Unwinnable Weekly.
5/29/15: “The Waitress,” for Unwinnable Weekly.
OH NO POLITICS
6/23/16: Guns, Abortions, and Rule of Law
FULL-LENGTH MEDIA CRITICISM (MOSTLY VIDEOGAMES)
For ReadySet (RIP):
7/26/2018: Review of The Banner Saga 3
1/3/2017: After My Dad Died, He Left Behind Thousands of Hours of Civilization Save Files (Originally posted at The Ontological Geek as My Name is Ozymandias)
Issue #13 (Spring 2015): “A Burnt Offering” & “Random Number Gods”
Issue #5: (Fall 2013): “Hunted” & “The Game”
Issue #1 (Fall 2012): “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” and “+5 To Diplomacy”
For Unwinnable Monthly:
10/16/2017: Issue #96: “I, Murderspy” (On Mass Effect’s SPECTREs, and why they make me uncomfortable)
1/20/2017: Issue #87: “Sides” (On FTL, rebellion, and Donald Trump)
Selected Pieces For The Ontological Geek:
4/28/2017: What It’s Like to Play: Devil Daggers
11/13/16: My Name is Ozymandias (on what to do with my late father’s videogame saves, and what they mean about his life).
2/12/16: Charmed, I’m Sure (an examination of why “Charm” mechanics in videogame RPGs are lousy game design). (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
1/29/16: Jon Blow and the Need for Genius (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
8/17/15: What It’s Like to Play: Crypt of the NecroDancer
5/20/15-7/14/15: 11 Days of Marvel. (A series in collaboration with Erin McNeil, talking about each MCU movie released so far.)
2/19/15: Bill’s Thoughts On: Jagannath (A collection of Weird Fiction short stories by Swedish author Karin Tidbeck)
2/13/15: Short Review of Zoya Street’s Delay
9/24/14: Chainsaw Catharsis
6/19/14: You Must Stuff Your Fridge Before Venturing Forth (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
8/16/13: Good Luck, Commander: XCOM and Pacific Rim (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
6/25/13: Gears Grinding in the Dunes (A review of Primordia) (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
3/5/2013: The Call of Leviathan: Mass Effect and Lovecraft (Included on Tentaclii’s “Open Lovecraft” List)
1/25/2013: A Eulogy for Kuranes (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
7/3/2012: On the Realism of Sexism
6/5/2012: You Must Gather Your Party (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
3/16/2012: On Endings
12/15/2011: You’re a Legend, Mr. Wayne
8/18/2011: Tensions in Bastion
7/21/2011: A Rose By Any Other Name
1/27/2011: Freedom and Failure in BioShock
For Nightmare Mode: (now defunct, links are to an archive some generous soul has been maintaining since late 2013):
3/18/13: Dwarf Fortress as Spectator Sport (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
11/26/2012: What Games Teach us About Guns (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging, Rock Paper Shotgun’s Sunday Papers and Critical Distance’s This Year in Video Game Blogging 2012, reposted by request on my blog at Gamasutra)
7/24/2012: Magic Needs To Be Mysterious and Unpredictable In Games (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging and Rock Paper Shotgun’s Sunday Papers)
5/23/2012: I Can’t Hear Myself Talk (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
4/12/2012: The Chantry and the Church
5/1/2012: Games Taught Me to Love Guitars (pg. 26-27)
Issue #1 (4/30/13): Amnesia and Dishonored
For ZAM/ReadySet (RIP):
Squibs for The Ontological Geek
8/16/17: The Hearthstone Hover
8/13/15: Somebody’s Watching You (On streaming horror games)
6/13/14: Dragon Age: Apologies (Worries about Dragon Age: Inquisitions) (Selected for Critical Distance’s This Week in Video Game Blogging)
5/2/14: Beast of America (On BioShock Infinite)
4/29/14: Go On Without Me (About FTL: Faster Than Light)
7/2/2018: The Ticking Clock in Cultist Simulator.
1/12/16: Contributed to their post on the death of David Bowie.
12/31/15: Two short discussions of Sunless Sea and Crypt of the NecroDancer for their Best Videogames of 2015 list.
For Haywire Magazine
2/2/15: A short review of The Banner Saga for their “Games of 2014” megapost.